President Donald Trump on Monday said he plans to rescind his order temporarily banning people from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the United States.
The proclamation, issued last week, barred travelers from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.
“It’s a very, very narrow and narrow interpretation of what the executive order is, which is, in essence, a Muslim ban,” Trump said in a phone interview with ABC’s George Stephanopoulos.
“There’s a big difference between, ‘I’m going to stop people from coming in and out’ and ‘I am going to make sure they’re not going to come in and get into our country.’ “
“Trump has previously said he is open to considering a new ban. “
The administration on Monday also issued a memo that clarified how the travel ban would work and said people in the seven countries would not be allowed to reenter the United Kingdom. “
Trump has previously said he is open to considering a new ban.
The administration on Monday also issued a memo that clarified how the travel ban would work and said people in the seven countries would not be allowed to reenter the United Kingdom.
The memo, issued by the Department of Homeland Security, said a U.S. citizen traveling to a country on the list would have to check in and wait for a 72-hour period.
The document did not say when that 72-hours would begin.
Trump on Tuesday also said he would issue a proclamation that would suspend the refugee resettlement program, which was created in the refugee program to resettle people fleeing the war in Syria and persecution by governments in the region.
The United States will halt accepting refugees until at least March 17.
The government said the suspension would take effect immediately, but the U.N. refugee agency said it would resume processing refugees as soon as a new temporary suspension expires.
The U.K. Prime Minister Theresa May said she had asked Trump to halt the resettlement program until he can provide a plan to stop the flow of people into Britain.
The move was a response to an emergency meeting in New York between May and Trump on Sunday.
Trump said Monday that he had not yet decided whether to suspend the resettlement and he had been advised to do so.
The decision was first reported by CNN.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.